I grow 'monsters'

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Christmas break wasn't as fun as it should've been. Poinsettas, twinkling lights, candy up the wazoo, stockings, Christmas tree all decorated in balls and bamboozles, homemade food and all around good cheer.

Nope. I had to visit the ER.

Poop.

Doctors and nurses poking me, making me pee in a cup, and all sorts of uncomfortable, painful hospital activities. I think they were mad that I took up their time on Christmas Eve. Not my fault. They should've blamed it on my monster, not me.

If not at the insistence of my parental units that it could be appendicitis and potentially hazardous to my life, I wouldn't have even bothered going. I would've assumed the debilitating, monstrous pain in my lower right abdomen was going to end up being a sore muscle or something else entirely non life-threatening. Instead they found my 7.1cm x 5.71cm lump, affectionately known as my monster. This sweet little thing I have grown in my body isn't very sweet.

In fact, it's dross. It needs to leave my body. It keeps causing me further uncomfortabilities.

Luckily for me they want to get it out too. BUT. The catch is, is that this fascinating mass is quite decidedly attached to my right ovary. Due to the size of my monster they have to take my ovary out with it. No worries all will continue on normally as I was fortunate enough to be born with two of them. Future child-bearing will be a little more difficult but completely possible. So you can all breathe easy...there will be plenty of adorable little Ashley's running around in the future for your enjoyment.
 
The next few months are going to be the best of my life (insert sarcasm). 

After what my Doctor called an 'exploratory laparotomy' I will have a nice LONG incision to deal with all decked out in stitches and soreness. This being because they need to check my other ovary, who's been sitting there innocently doing nothing so out of the ordinary as growing a monster, for anything suspicious.

This means that the 6-pack abs I have been working on the past little while will most likely deteriorate and I will no longer have a beach body as I do now (joke). Not to mention doing essentially anything with my body will be painful as every movement I may do whether it be walking, vegetating, laughing, rolling over in bed, asking politely for a bowl of ice cream, jumping jacks, or simply going skydiving, will require the use of my abdominal muscles. My now sweetly toned tummy muscles will have cuts through them and nasty little stitches pulling them back together. There will be no using of my abs for some time.

Let's just say I might have had it coming to me.

I found excessive amounts of delight in watching my sister try not to laugh while recovering from the removal of her wisdom teeth...I might've gone out of my way to make her laugh.

There's the story of my 'monster.'


Terrifying pictorials
  1. Somehow someone got a picture of my monster.

1 comments:

Blessings January 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM  

Ashley I have been there! My story goes as follows: I went in for an annual checkup and a "mass" was found on my left ovary. An Ultrasound and a cat scan later I was told it was a dermoid cyst (solid cyst with greasy stuff and possibly hair or teeth. Ew). There was hope that they could remove it but during surgery that proved impossible so the ovary was removed as well. They also asked my husband for permission to explore the other side to make sure things were good there. Luckily they were. The scar is low and has faded so much that I don't really notice it anymore. All 4 of my children came after that surgery with no extra difficulty. 5 years later they found another dermoid on the other ovary. That one was able to be removed without taking the remaining ovary.
Just wanted you to know that it sucks for a few weeks but then life moves forward.
Sorry for the long comment. Your story sounds a lot like mine. Good luck to you!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP